Monday, April 13, 2009

Books? Who needs BOOKS?!?!?!?!?!?!? I Do!!!


So there I was headed to my local library to get some books on a research paper I was doing. I stroll on in and head to the computers to look up my topic and find books that I can use. A simple topic really....alcoholism and smoking and the effects on your health.

I do the first search on alcoholism....on the first page of about 10 results, I came across about 8 that were Internet sites. EIGHT out of ten? So I proceeded to take down call numbers for the few books I was able to find...on to the next topic of smoking.....basically the SAME result, I actually couldn't find ONE book on smoking..they were all Internet sites!


OK
so maybe I am old-fashioned, and the crazy idea of finding BOOKS in a library is just unfathomable in this day and age. As I went on my quest with my short list of call numbers, I looked around to see A LOT less books in the entire library...I did see more computers and more DVDs to rent, but less aisles of books. I guess with all these people using their Kindles to read books and such instead of actually picking up such a book made of paper and cardboard, there is no need for books in the libraries anymore. It's sad, I LOVE books, and I NEED to be able to touch the book and turn pages, not click on a screen or keypad, I just can't!


besides the book issue at the library, I came across a common trend of leaving kids in the library as a babysitter. Little kids running around obnoxiously screaming, yelling, stamping up and down stairs...no parents to watch over. And if there WAS a parent around, you got the usual "oh stop it now....." as the kid throws a fit in the middle of the place. I mean I think it MORE quiet outside in the parking lot than it was in the actual library itself! Ridiculous.


I also came across the slobs of the town...you know the ones that have NO CLUE how to return a book to the shelf (or at least to the rack so the librarian can return it to the proper place) I went to have a seat to look through my THREE books, and I wasn't sure if people were sitting at places and just left their books there for a moment or if they actually DID leave and just figured someone else could clean up after them. I finally found an empty table, I did some reading, took some notes. Out of the blue a guy gets up out of his seat and slams like 5 big books down on the floor making a very loud bang. When numerous people turned in his direction his reply was "sorrrrrrrry" as if WE were wrong to expect people to NOT throw books on the floor! ugh!!!


No comments: